* Easier than pie, but just as delicious! These can be eaten with a fork or fingers. Can be made in an 8x8 (thick) or 13x9 pan (See modified filling recipe). Directions for "footballs" follow recipe.
Shortbread Cookie Crust
- 2 cups (240 grams) Truly AIP All-Purpose Baking Mix
- 1/2 cup palm shortening
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
Cut shortening into baking mix and then mix in maple syrup. You should have a slightly crumbly dough that holds it's shape when squeezed into a ball. Press mixture into 8x8 pan. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, until crust is lightly browned. Cool to room temperature before pouring filling on top.
For 13x9, follow above instructions, but decrease bake time to about 15 minutes.
Pie Filling (For 8x8 pan)
- 1 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2.5 tsp. gelatin (not collagen)
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 T. molasses (or add extra Tbsp. honey or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. mace
- 1/8 tsp. salt
In saucepan, bloom gelatin over coconut milk. Add all remaining ingredients, except for pumpkin, and heat mixture over low heat until gelatin is liquid. Whisk in pumpkin puree and remove from heat. Let cool briefly and then pour over crust. Refrigerate until set. Cut into bars to serve.
Pie Filling (For 13x9 pan)(Follow directions above)
- 1 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (entire can)
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 3 1/4 tsp. gelatin (not collagen)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. molasses (or add extra honey or maple syrup)
- 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/3 tsp. cloves
- 2/3 tsp. mace
- 1/8 tsp. salt plus an extra pinch
To make footballs, use a round cookie cutter to first cut a circle, then use the cookie cutter to cut about a third of the way into circle to create a football shape. Pipe frosting in the design of stitching.