* Yes, this is a fully AIP compliant pumpkin roll, and it is delicious! The most challenging part of this recipe is the wait time required for making the filling, so be sure to plan a day or two ahead. If a large roll intimidates you, try a half recipe and start small! It's plenty for a dessert for 6 and MUCH easier to manage.
MAKE AHEAD: For AIP cream cheese: Put 1 cup coconut yogurt in strainer lined with cheesecloth and suspend over a bowl to catch liquid. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight or longer for a thicker consistency. I prefer 2-3 days.
For the pumpkin cake:
- 2 cups (240 grams) Truly AIP All-Purpose Baking Mix (too much will cause dry cake)
- 3/4 cup pureed pumpkin, room temp.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. gelatin
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, room temp.
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground mace
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
Grease a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. Preheat oven to 350.
In large microwave safe mixing bowl, bloom gelatin over water. Microwave or warm just long enough to liquefy gelatin. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Scrape batter onto prepared baking sheet and spread evenly into a large rectangle shape about 15x10 inches. Bake for about 10-12 minutes until cake springs back in the middle when lightly touched.
Decision time! You have a few choices:
1. Let cake cool completely on pan and be okay with a few sections that crack when you spread the filling and roll cake up. This means fluffier cake!
2. Flip warm cake over onto a towel and roll cake up while still warm and let cool. Carefully remove towel and fill with filling. Roll cake up for finished product. This method yields a denser, thinner cake.
Store cake in the fridge for 5-7 days, or in the freezer for a few months.
For the "cream cheese" filling:
- 1 cup coconut yogurt, strained to remove most liquid
- 1/2 cup palm shortening
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup maple syrup OR maple sugar
- 2-3 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 tsp. vanilla bean powder
Bring all ingredients to room temperature and then blend until smooth and creamy using a hand blender. Chill before using.